Thursday, July 4, 2013

Thomas Jefferson Would Be Proud

The past couple years I haven't done much with my summers. I've been preoccupied or out of commission in various ways and rarely got myself out to enjoy the sun. I've tried to make more of an effort this summer to take advantage of the beautiful time in the city as well as put myself out there socially.

The past two years Tisher has hosted an Independence Day BBQ culminating with the reading of the declaration of independence which I loved. This summer that didn't happen so I had to venture out and fill my BBQ quotient elsewhere. I landed at MCat's which was a great time. Great music, tons of great people, and enough space to move around in. Parties sometimes turn me off if they're too crowded, too many people in a tight space, it drives me a little crazy. Today was the first time as a sober person where I felt 100% comfortable around people drinking, I talked to a lot of different people, made the rounds, and just genuinely had a blast and I never gave that part of it a second thought.

With a clear head being around people and catching up and shooting the shit is so much easier and enjoyable. I'm able now to take such genuine pleasure in listening and talking and cracking jokes without feeling self conscious or over analyzing. It's refreshing and stimulating.

After the BBQ a bunch of folks headed to Montrose harbor to watch the fireworks. Tisher and I laid in the grass and I tried and continually failed to take a good photo of the display.
The 4th of July doesn't hold much significance for me as a holiday. The founding of our country and patriotism and all that doesn't mean anything to me, I feel nothing about it. But the 4th of July is a great reason to get outside and talk to people and celebrate the summer and really feel alive. It's a great excuse and for that I am grateful.

It was a reason to gather with a group of friends and watch the night sky burn.

No comments:

Post a Comment