Thursday, August 2, 2012

The Limits Of Control

I've learned something over the past couple days. There is only one thing that I can control: myself. I can try and control you, I can be irritated by what you do, I can be angered by what you do, I can be upset by what you do, but in the end I can't control you so all that energy is wasted. I can communicate to you how I feel, I can offer advise, but I can't change you only you can change you.

I've wasted a lot of energy and gotten very upset by attempting to control the world around me or by trying to change in accordance with what is asked for me by others.

I've become much more adept at being calm and realizing I can only be aware and express how I feel. I can communicate that to others but I no longer have a desire to control them. I know now that that's a waste of time. People are going to do what they are going to do. You can nudge, you can try and advise, but telling someone what they should be doing or what you want them to be doing never works.

It's liberating in a way, just letting go.

Control is just an illusion anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment