Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The Unknown

I use to be really afraid of new things and situations. It was difficult to go to places I had never been before. Meet new people. Ask for help or directions. I liked things that were known. That way I couldn't be surprised, taken out of my element, made to feel uncomfortable. Recently I've turned a corner. I don't feel that way anymore because I discovered, you never know. You never know what the unknown will bring. Most of the time its good or interesting or helpful or not big deal or easy or, worst case scenario, boring.

The past couple weeks I've challenged myself to go to new places meet new people. And I discovered that once I started doing it, it became very easy. Most people are helpful, you don't know where you are going ask. Most people are welcoming, you don't know people introduce yourself. I figured out that all the stress and anxiety I associated with that stuff was coming from me not from the situation. And ultimately it was a waste of my energy. There was no reason to be stressed. There was no reason to be anxious. For the most part life takes care of itself. Do what you do. Make a plan and follow it and you'd be surprised what falls into place.

Today I went to a meeting I had never gone to before and it was kind of hard to find. At the very back of some building out of the way. I found it eventually and was welcomed by a lot of people and it was great. A month ago I would have freaked out not knowing where I was going. Now it's easy. In the grand scheme of things it's nothing to be upset about. Things work out. Later I went to catch some random shows, met an acquaintance and had a great conversation. We had some real talk and found out we had a lot more in common than I would have thought. You never know what can happen when you show up. And that's a good thing.

Suit up and show up.

No comments:

Post a Comment